- Transforming City Landsc...
- YAC Youth Press Conferen...
- Dreadful feelings emerge...
- ARTS & CULTURE
- COACH`S CORNER FOR PARENTS
- COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS
- HEALTH & WELL-BEING
- LAVAL FAMILIES MAGAZINE CARES
- LAVAL URBAN IN NATURE
- SAFETY & PREVENTION
- STRAIGHT TALK
- TEENS IN ACTION
- THE FUTURE OF OUR PLANET
- TODAY`S LAURENTIANS AND LANAUDIÈRE
- THIS ISSUE
- MOST RECENT
Phoenix Alternative: a different teaching and learning environment
rings. The school is calling, again. Your stomach churns. You are only half
listening and swallow hard as a wave of despair fills your heart as you listen
to the details of your teen’s latest misbehavior. Your teen is spiraling into a vortex of
frustration and failure.
You come home from a long day’s work, weary. You know your teen is home. He has retreated into his room, again. Any attempts to be a part of his world are met with an indifference and edge that saddens you.
You receive another report card with excellent grades. Your heart swells with pride, but it is tempered with worry and concern. She confides in you that she feels sad, lost and invisible. It pains her, and in turn, you feel helpless.
Adolescence can be a challenging time. We tolerate a modest level of attitude, rebellion and acting out, as some of our teens flirt with fluorescent hair, body piercings and eccentric clothing. So many others suffer silently as they battle anxiety, depression, low self-esteem or feeling like they just don’t fit in. Teens go through tremendous developmental changes and so our parenting and learning environments must also adapt.
WHO SHOULD CONSIDER PHOENIX ALTERNATIVE HIGH SCHOOL?
Any teen who isn't succeeding in their current academic setting, to include students who:
- have poor grades
- are truant or skip school often
- feel disconnected or unmotivated
- frequently engage in conflict with teachers
- require more individual attention
- experience social difficulties in the school setting
The Phoenix experience is about understanding that our students need guidance and compassion. Our commitment is to support our students and believe in them, especially when they have not yet found the courage to believe in themselves.
The guiding principles for our vision and mission are to provide an opportunity for every student to have a fresh start; to provide a nurturing culture promoting attachment-based learning by making a difference in the lives of our students who need consistency and strong, positive, trusting relationships with adults in their lives; and to guide students in making positive and healthy decisions and to encourage them to become life-long learners and responsible citizens.
HOW ARE WE ALTERNATIVE
- smaller school size
- lower student-teacher ratios
- caring and supportive environment with a dedicated school team
- flexible learning environment
- supervised environment (students remain on school grounds throughout the day)
- commitment to building a strong sense of community
- opportunities to engage in extra-curricular activities and field trips
- partnering with parents for added support
- monthly support group for parents
CONTESTS Enter our contests
COMMUNITY Posts Events
PUBLICATIONS Our Magazine Family Resource Directory
LFM BUSINESS NETWORK Learn more
COUPONS Click to save!
E-NEWSLETTER Subscribe to our E-newsletter Un-Subscribe
WRITE FOR US Guidelines & Submissions
POLLS Vote today!
SUGGESTIONS Reader's Survey Suggest a Listing
LFM About Us Our Mission Giving Back Contact Us