- Transforming City Landsc...
- YAC Youth Press Conferen...
- Dreadful feelings emerge...
- ARTS & CULTURE
- COACH`S CORNER FOR PARENTS
- COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS
- HEALTH & WELL-BEING
- LAVAL FAMILIES MAGAZINE CARES
- LAVAL URBAN IN NATURE
- SAFETY & PREVENTION
- STRAIGHT TALK
- TEENS IN ACTION
- THE FUTURE OF OUR PLANET
- TODAY`S LAURENTIANS AND LANAUDIÈRE
- THIS ISSUE
- MOST RECENT
Summer is here but…learning losses begin!
a wonderful image of summer as a carefree, happy time when ‘kids can be kids,’
and take for granted the prospect of inspiring experiences such as summer camps,
parks, trips, and time with family.
What they don’t realize is that to succeed in school and life, children and young adults need ongoing opportunities to learn and practice essential skills. This is especially true during the summer months, because summer is the loss in academic skills and knowledge. The loss in learning varies across grade level and subject matter. On average, students score lower on standardized tests at the end of the summer than they do at the beginning of summer (on the same test).
Mathematics - 2.6 months of grade-level equivalency loss
Reading - Students generally lose about 2 months of reading achievement.
In order for someone not to regress for their coming new school year in September, we suggest:
- Reading for 20 minutes a day
- Educational apps
- Flashcards for mathematical tables
- French and English reading and comprehension sessions
- Brain training programs that stimulate and enhance their academic skills such as reading, comprehension, attention, working memory and sequence
- Online interactive reading program
- Practice phonemic and English language
- Math review and practice
- French enhancement (phonemic sounds, grammar and writing
CONTESTS Enter our contests
COMMUNITY Posts Events
PUBLICATIONS Our Magazine Family Resource Directory
LFM BUSINESS NETWORK Learn more
COUPONS Click to save!
E-NEWSLETTER Subscribe to our E-newsletter Un-Subscribe
WRITE FOR US Guidelines & Submissions
POLLS Vote today!
SUGGESTIONS Reader's Survey Suggest a Listing
LFM About Us Our Mission Giving Back Contact Us